Paint.net 4.0.18 - Paint.NET is free image and photo editing software for PCs that run Windows. It features an intuitive and innovative user interface with support for layers, unlimited undo, special effects, and a wide variety of useful and powerful tools. An active and growing online community provides friendly help, tutorials, and plugins.
It started development as an undergraduate college senior design project mentored by Microsoft, and is currently being maintained by some of the alumni that originally worked on it. Originally intended as a free replacement for the Microsoft Paint software that comes with Windows, it has grown into a powerful yet simple image and photo editor tool. It has been compared to other digital photo editing software packages such as Adobe® Photoshop®, Corel® Paint Shop Pro®, Microsoft Photo Editor, and The GIMP.
Paint.NET depends on Microsoft's .NET Framework 4.6, which is automatically installed if it isn't already on the system.
Paint.NET will automatically run in 64-bit mode if possible. You must have a 64-bit capable CPU and an x64 edition of Windows.
Paint.NET uses your hard drive to store temporary files related to undo/redo history. Because of this, actual disk space requirements will depend on the actions you perform on an image, and on the size of the image.
- Improved: Startup performance has been improved by about 25%
- New: Now available on the Windows Store! https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9NBHCS1LX4R0
- Improved: Plugins can now be installed per-user into "Documents\paint.net App Files" into folders named Effects, FileTypes, and Shapes. This is required for using plugins with the Store release. To disable this (e.g. for administrators), set the "Plugins/AllowLoadingPluginsFromUserLocations" key to "false" (HKLM\Software\paint.net).
- Improved: When using Portable Mode, custom palette files are stored next to the EXE instead of in Documents
- Fixed: There was a crash on some systems that may have prevented the app from starting up (MissingMethodException for "System.GC.Collect")